A special report by the European Court of Auditors underlines the lack of European accompanying measures to address the environmental and social cost of unsustainable economic activities. According to the report:
- The Commission needs to apply consistent criteria to determine the sustainability of EU budget investments and better target efforts to generate sustainable investment opportunities;
- There is a lack of transparency on what is sustainable;
- Additional measures are needed to ensure that the pricing of greenhouse gas emissions better reflects their environmental cost;
- Too little has been done on adaptation to climate change;
- The EU budget has not fully followed sustainable finance good practice and lacks consistent science-based criteria to avoid significant harm to the environment.
Read more here.