Accountancy Europe has released a publication on Building a credible Green Bond market – considerations by the accountancy profession.
With the European Green Deal, the European Commission sets Europe on a path to become climate neutral by 2050. Green bonds are a key tool to help channel funds towards green projects. There is a growing interest in this market but uncertainties remain for issuers and investors.
The publication presents the accountancy profession’s views on how to strengthen the confidence in the green bond market.The main recommendations are:
- establish a mandatory EU GBS to ensure it is consistently applied in the market
- set up a centralised European accreditation system for external assessment, building on existing national schemes and processes
- require reporting on green bonds and on actual environmental impact at regular intervals
- ensure third-party independent assurance is obtained on allocation and environmental reports
- align the EU GBS with the EU Taxonomy
Read more here.